P&O Cruises will be the first UK-based cruise line to offer same-sex marriages at sea as of January 2018. This comes after the Supreme Court in Bermuda ruled in favour of enabling same-sex marriages in the North Atlantic isle – also allowing any Bermuda-registered cruise ships the opportunity to offer same-sex ceremonies, too.
This means couples will be able to be wed onboard all P&O Cruises’ as they’re registered in Bermuda, except Britannia who is registered in the UK, with the ceremonies being performed by the captain or deputy captain!
The lucky couple, Vicky Marno and Siobhan Crosy from Skegness, will be the first to be married in a same-sex ceremony with P&O Cruises – they’ll tie the knot onboard Azura while sailing the Caribbean.
Same-sex couples can now marry with Cunard, too
Cunard have also followed suit and will be offering same-sex marriages onboard all three of their ships. Simon Palethorpe Cunard’s senior vice president, said – “This is very welcome news for us and I am delighted that we have become one of the first British cruise lines to take a booking for a same-sex wedding. We look forward to welcoming this couple and many other couples too.”
As official sponsors of Southampton’s Gay Pride, due to take place on 26th August, Cunard have already confirmed their first wedding. Wedding packages start from $3,400 onboard Queen Mary 2 or from $2,800 onboard Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth.
Why get married at sea?
One of the main benefits of getting married on a cruise is that it can often work out much cheaper than getting married on land – P&O Cruises in particular offer Weddings at Sea packages starting from only £1,200. Sit back and relax as the onboard wedding coordinator takes care of the planning, and you also get the benefit of starting your honeymoon straightaway by sailing into some exotic destinations! Click here to read all about the benefits of getting hitched at sea.
P&O Cruises’ and Cunard’s Wedding at Sea packages include…
- A romantic ceremony at sea conducted by the captain*
- Wedding ceremony venue with floral arrangements
- Traditional wedding music
- Services of the onboard wedding coordinator
- Attendance of a professional photographer at the ceremony
- Commemorative wedding certificate
- An official copy of the marriage certificate
- The cost of the license fees
- A bottle of Champagne in the cabin on arrival
- Champagne for a toast after the ceremony
- Invitations and thank you notes
- Wedding outfit pressing service
- An additional 5kg luggage allowance for the couple if travelling on a P&O Cruises fly/cruise holiday
- *If the captain is unable to conduct the ceremony, the deputy captain will be asked to conduct on their behalf
Thinking of getting hitched?
If you’re interested in tying the knot at sea, give us a call on our freephone number 0800 107 2323 – one of our friendly cruise team will be able to help find you the perfect sailing for your big day!